Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sassy Retro Wrap.........



Hello Friends, I have yet another project to share with you. Yes, it's another Butterick retro wrap dress. Only this time, it's done up a lot more sassier. I used princess seams to create figure flattering curves, and Retro Style fabric for a more vintage look. Instead of using button closures I used snaps, even on the inner dress. Overall the pattern was easy to work with and required a few minor alterations. As many of you dolls may notice, I also shortened the inner dress to create more depth. I am also working on a vintage style slip to wear underneath the dress, and looking for a lightweight cardigan to wear with it on cool summer nights.



Let me know what you think! Have you created your own version of this dress? I would love to see it!


P.s. You ladies have to excuse the horrid lighting in my picture. The sun snuck back into hiding before I could get outside.








Keeping it Sassy,

21 Pretty Thoughts:

Maryissewfast said...

That's the nicest version of that dress I have seen. Great fabric choice...very pretty!

Bean said...

what a sweet dress, great job!!

Bessie M. said...

How lovely! I think this is the prettiest version of the famous "walk-away" dress I have ever seen! :D

Sara said...

So beautiful! What a wonderful fabric choice, and your alterations worked perfectly.

Camelia Crinoline said...

It's gorgeous. I love the fabric you chose.

Jenni said...

Love that version!

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

It's beautiful! I've eyed this pattern a few times and didn't have the courage to sew from it, but now you're giving me second thoughts.

elodina said...

Absolutely stunning, beautifully made, looks like it fits great!

Erica Bunker said...

I've hated this pattern for ever! I've always thought it looked like a a dowdy vintage housedress! But girl, you have changed my mind! You look so glamourous! Like a 50's starlet!

June said...

It's beautiful! Really, it's one of the prettiest walkaway dresses I've seen!

I BLEED PINK said...

I have to agree with others, I saw this pattern and thought it was U-L-G-Y. But I love your creation!!!

Bijou Beaute International Ltd. said...

Hello Friends,

Thank you so much for all of your positive comments. As I stated over at Sew Retro, I too was a little apprehensive about working with this pattern after reading so many bad reviews. After seeking the advice of my Sewing Teacher, I went forward with the project and added a few steps back into the pattern that had been taken out.

I cut the pattern a size larger than normal, which allowed me some major playing room. The most important thing I would say is pay close attention to the seam areas, and try the dress on in between completing other areas. Once something is sewn it is hard to make alterations on this dress.

Overall I love it, and plan on doing another one before the Summer is over. Thank you again for all of your funny, kind, and fanciful comments. And Yes, I will add more photos as soon as I can.

Keep it pretty Ladies!

Raquel from J.C. said...

OMG! This is the best "walk away" dress I've ever seen. It's perfect on your figure,and the fabric is lovely. Congratulations!

Bijou Beaute International Ltd. said...

Thanks Raquel!

Serendipity Handmade + Vintage said...

Your dress is so lovely! And in my favorite colors too. Just found you via Sew Retro.

I also like your blog design, by the way. Roses are my favorite flower!

lholy-chan said...

Wow it's gorgeous! I love the fabric you chose, it's perfect!

(just saw your post on Sew Retro)

TheIngeniousIndigenous said...

I agree with so many of the comments, on here. I've seen some ugly versions of this dress, that remind me of hospital gowns, but your dress is absolutely lovely. Its so funny too, because this is the pattern I'm about to start. I was a bit worried it would look dowdy, but you've inspired me and assured me I can make something lovely as well

Molly said...

I absolutely adore your fabric, it makes the dress look so many many more times beautiful. Please do have a look on my blog page at what I did with this pattern although it pales in comparison to yours!

Susan said...

You have got to be kidding me!!!! I seriously thought you found a model that had a dress that you could recreate by using the Retro pattern (which I have and now need to dig out my stash). That came out AMAZING and you look phenomenal.

Tracy said...

I absolutely love this....How do I get the pattern...You did my nails while I was in Michigan on business. I am the Utah girl that likes antiques. I really like it because it is short cap sleeved sort of but not totally sleevless. Thanks for sharing

Bijou Beaute International Ltd. said...

Hi Tracy,

Nice to hear from you. The pattern number for the wrap dress is 4790, and you can find it at Joann Fabrics. It's a really comfortable dress with lots a feminine flair.

Happy Sewing!